Monday, March 4, 2013

Cyprus Adventure: From Paphos to Larnaca

I spent another month in my former home: Cyprus. Yes, it was sunny, and yes, I met my friends and saw places and I got nostalgic, after all I did spent 6 years of my life there. But it all started on the wrong foot. For start, I landed in Paphos; nothing special you'd might say, and it is if you do not plan to go to Larnaca on a Wednesday afternoon or in weekends, cause then you will have a problem.

You see, there is no direct connection to Larnaca. You can choose the shuttle bus from the airport to take you to Limassol, and from there the Larnaca airport shuttle bus will take you to Larnaca Airport, and from there find another bus into town, or you  can chose to go to Paphos with a regional bus, take an intercity bus from there (if you can find one... or two connecting in Limassol), if they fit your schedule. For me, it was an adventure. Landing in Paphos on a Saturday evening at around 19:00 hrs was almost a condemnation to spending one night in the airport before proceeding to Larnaca the next morning. I was lucky, an acquaintance  I have made during the flight offered me a ride to Limassol, and so I managed to get to the Larnaca Airport shuttle bus in useful time. but getting to my address in Larnaca proved to be almost as lenghty as my flight form Barcelona to Paphos (with a 3 hours stop in Milan - Bergamo), but much more nerve consuming.
Having lived here, I could say: "well, this is Cyprus", but landing in Cyprus came after having to use the Spanish and Italian transportation systems (which, themselves, are not perfect), which offers you transfer between airports and other transportation hubs more than 50 km away with a cost of under 10 euros, and a frequency of one bus (or train) every 20 minutes. Impressive, when compared with Larnaca or Paphos airports.
Soon, I realized why it is like this... by just connecting dots. Going out of the airport and realizing I just lost the bus that would get to Paphos in useful time to catch the bus to Limassol, and searching for options, i was approached by Taxi Helpdesk "official", who offered me two solutions:

  1. 50 euros to get in useful time in Paphos Town (compared with 1 euro fare for the bus) or
  2. 140 euros to my destination in Larnaca. (compared with a combined fare of 20 euros using the two shuttle buses of the connecting in Limassol, going out every 2 hours, or a combined fare of about 10 neuros using the intercity buses that have a pretty weird schedule, and do not run (or they are pretty scarce) in the evening, Wednesdays, or weekends)

 For 140 euros you can rent a car for 3 days, and it will take you wherever you want, whenever you want.

Just like Cyprus Airways is littered with cases of nepotism and favoritism, everything else in Cyprus is governed by the same unwritten laws. When more buses were introduced from Larnaca Airport to connect it to the city, there was a "Taxi Drivers Strike". Does anyone remember cases when from Larnaca Airport people were taken to a ride to Ayia Napa at a cost of 170 cyprus pounds (on an non-requested sight-viewing route through the picturesque villages of Cyprus)? The very same guys organized a strike to protest an attempt to optimize transportation to and from the airport. Are there any honest taxi drivers in Cyprus? Of course they are. But, just to make sure, before any trip ask for an estimation.
I am not saying taxi drivers control everything (I am not an conspiracy theory kind of guy), but many arrangements are made (or, better said, not made) to cater to their "needs".
A transportation system that is not well thought of (intentionally or unintentionally)  leaves room for freeloading and disappointment, and with that comes bad reputation, and with bad reputation comes the loss of visitors, and with that comes less revenue for the government. I wonder if the government has a strategy for this issue, cause having a hub for the two main airports in Limassol is definitely the wrong one, and makes no sense, when clearly Larnaca is the heart of it. It makes no sense to have 3 companies with intercity routes and all of them to give you a transfer time from Paphos Airport to Larnaca of more than 4 hours!!! Are these people blind? Another thing that makes no sense to me would be the unnecessary stop and bus change in Limassol, when a trip directly to end of the line with a stop in Limassol would optimize schedules, timings and costs. A single line connecting Paphos to Paralimni, with stations only in the main local public transport hubs makes even more sense to me. It would not only benefit the tourism, it will restore trust in the system, it will ease up traffic, it will take less burnt fuel to get from one town to another. A simple train system along the Highways would make even more sense, if you have the finance to do it... And the will to do it!
I get a lot of comments on how can a Romanian comment on a Cyprus thing? To that, I can only say that if one article puts salt on a wound and people act on it to make it better, it makes no difference my nationality.

No comments:

Post a Comment